lundi 2 avril 2012

Annecy!

This weekend I had a freaking blast attending the Rotary-sponsored "Journées Rotariens de la Jeunesse" (Rotary Youth Days, loosely translated), a four day event which takes place every four years and unites all the Rotary exchange students in France.  This year it was in a town called Annecy, located in south eastern France and known as the "Venice of the North".  There were over 400 other exchange students there, representing 31 countries!  It was fantastic.  I got to see lots of old friends, including some people I met when I got my visa in San Francisco, and make lots of new friends.  In general an amazing time!

On the bus, hangin' with Dale, our new Australian.  He just arrived since they're upside down in Australia and arrive in January instead of August like normal people (please note that all jabs at Australia are meant quite fondly) 
Me and my sunglasses which were squashed the next evening by some wild dancers of various nationalities.  Oh well, their last few days were pretty scenic :)
We stopped on the way at a museum of old airplanes.  Posing with my buds from Germany and Canada.  
And spring is magical at a wine museum in Bourgogne!

1 commentaire:

  1. Bonjour,

    I came across your blog as I searched for information on Rotary youth exchange in District 1660 of France. I see that you were there in 2012. My daughter is there now, just a couple weeks into her year abroad with Rotary. I was hoping I could bother you for some insight into the local Rotary district in Paris if you don’t mind.

    Our daughter is in Carrieres sur Seine, on the outskirts of Paris, but within District 1660. She is still in those difficult initial weeks of adjusting to the language and cultural differences, and is trying to make contacts with Rotary folks who will be helpful and supportive as she gets acclimated. Were there any particular Rotary members, counselors, officers … who you found to be easily approachable, especially helpful or interested in the foreign exchange students? I see that you talk favorably about Anita, but my daughter, (Sophie), has already had a run in with her, receiving a pretty harsh punishment for being among of group of students (boys and girls) hanging out in the same hotel room together sharing stories, expectations and their excitement for the year ahead, after one of the opening orientation days had concluded. Not a great first interaction with Anita, and she is looking for someone in Rotary who might be a bit more understanding.
    I did an exchange when I was 16 (AFS to Honduras), and I know the AFS counselors were a tremendous resource for me, especially early on when I was just getting to know people and the culture.

    I apologize for the random contact from a stranger, but if you have any thoughts you could share, either with respect to particular Rotary contacts, or regarding other general or specific resources or opportunities available to an exchange student in this region, I would greatly appreciate it. My email is below. I hope you still monitor this blog and will receive this message.

    Sincerely,

    Geoff Hickcox
    ghickcox@gmail.com

    RépondreSupprimer